Rottnest island trees and succulents

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Krystyna Szulecka, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Krystyna Szulecka

Krystyna Szulecka Active Member

Rottnest island trees and succulents. Shore of Salt Lake Herschel. Photographed in February

Attached Files:

2. Krystyna Szulecka

close up of the succulant growing on the front

Attached Files:

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Those are some nice trees you have growing naturally in England. Many of the pictures I've seen from England show very little forested areas. What are the trees pictured?

Cheers, LPN.

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Trees are a Melaleuca sp. without much doubt. There are a number of species in coastal Western Australia with this growth habit and you would need to see some leaf and maybe inflorescence detail to be say which. I guess if I was familiar with Rottnest Island I might be able to say, but I have never been there!

The succulents are saltmarsh plants. The segmented one is a samphire, possibly Sarcocornia blackiana. The Sedum-like one I don't recognise. I could not find any reference to Sedum being naturalised in that State.

5. Krystyna Szulecka

The only Melaleuca on Rottnest Island is Melaleuca lanceolata, common name Moonah. The most likely Samphire is Halosarcia halocnemoides although other species such as Halosarcia indica, Sarcocornia blackiana and Sarcocornia quinqueflora are also found on
    the island. This group of chenopods are distinguished on microscopic examination. Information from Barbara Wiecek