Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'HortForum' started by naash, Dec 6, 2014.
hello, could you please tell me waht are these white things ans how to get rid of them..
Fungus problem called mildew. Associated with dry soil conditions and damp atmosphere, occurring only on genetically susceptible plants. Can try beating it down with sprays of water in the morning, otherwise chemical fungicides labeled for the purpose would be purchased at a garden center and applied on a routine schedule.
Before using pesticides (fungicides are one kind of pesticides) I would think a good idea to get familiar with pesticide toxicity http://www.extension.org/pages/17854/symptoms-of-pesticide-poisoning#.VINdUWemVyE After that, if you decide to use pesticides or not is up to you, but do it fully aware of what you are dealing with.
Thankfully, there are more natural ways of dealing with mildew.
To prevent the mildew development, if your Rose grows in a shady area consider moving it to the sunny spot in your garden. Try to make your soil more moisture retentive by amending it with organic materials, or, at the very least, apply organic mulches, like for example grass clippings from the organically grown lawn, on top of the soil around the plant. Make sure that your plants are well spaced and have good air circulation around them. Don't over-fertilize, or better still, don't fertilize with synthetic fertilizers at all.
Spraying with water to wash the fungal spores off your Rose plant may be a good idea, do it late in the morning or early in the afternoon, so the plant can dry quickly after that. There are other treatments available, have a look at http://www.ehow.com/how_2130712_cure-powdery-mildew-rose-bushes.html
Remember, though, that prevention, as opposed to treatment, is much more effective and easier in the long run.
thanx for reply, will try the neem oil..