Roots on Thuja Plicata 'Zebrina'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Hello

Ive been trying to find out about the root systems on the above conifer. We have a few outside our dining room window and are looking for information on whether they will damage our house. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Donna

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Off the top of my head the only instance I've seen of a cracked foundation was where a Sierra redwood with a massive, footlike base was pressing right against the concrete. If you have a similar situation you may want to get a professional opinion.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

as for cedar (Thuja) roots damaging concrete, my opinion is that roots do not create the cracks (generally) but they are apt to aggravate cracks. Inspect the foundation from the inside to see if there is visible damage, if there is then consider hiring an arborist to do a root excavation with an air spade or air digger (pneumatic pressure tool that blows dirt everywhere but doesnt hurt the tree roots) and see if there is an remedial work to be done to minimize or eliminate damage. Deep root barrier may be considered for long term meditaion of root invasion. Cedars (Thuja) are generally surface rooters and can tolerate wet soils well, that being said they can root deeply depending on what soil profile and drainage issues they are presented with.