Rooting a wormwood cutting!!

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Ravnak, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Ravnak

Ravnak Member

Hi

I have just gotten a cutting of a woormwood from a friend of mine for my herbal garden and would like to know how to make it root. I have tried keeping it in water for several weeks now with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this herb root?

Thanks.

Ravnak

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Ravnak: I have generally been successful using Rootone (a growth hormone) on a 6 inch, stripped cutting (strip all but the very top leaves) using a soilless growing medium that is at least 50% peat moss. Just keep it slightly damp, not wet-wet.

3. alabama

alabama Active Member

I have been rooting wormwood (silver mound) in sand and peat for several months now. I just cut an actively growing stem, take off a few bottom leaves, dip it in rooting compound and pack it in good. I use a mixture of sand and peat (more sand than peat).
    You must keep a high humidity around the cutting and keep the rooting mixture moist. You might try putting it in a small pot, watering it in good, and cutting the top off of a two liter bottle and place it over the cutting. My wormwood droops badly at first but after a day or two they pick up. Keep the bottle out of the sun and wait about four weeks for it to root. Good Luck!

P.S. I have found that it is better to error on the wet side than dry when rooting cuttings. Don,t let them dry out!