Rhubarb root: what to do

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Ralph Walton, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I have just recieved a big chunk (about the size of a 4 liter ice cream pail) of rhubarb root, apparently just sliced out of a mature plant with a shovel. It looks to be a mass of intertwined roots, some may be connected to each other, but several are easily separatable from the rest. There are a few small (2 - 4" long) leaves and stalks, so maybe it's not entirely dormant.
    I hope to get several plants from this so my questions are: how small a piece might be viable?, do I need to include a piece of the crown? any other tips - how deep? mulch over? soil ammendment? (I have lots of 1 and 2 year old cow manure and some fresh to 6 month old horse poop)
    Ralph

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the link. Also thanks for the "clean-up" duties on the old posts. I often see them and feel a bit guilty as if we have somehow failed in our collective non-response. I feel much better now.
    Ralph

4. Newt

Ralph, you are so very welcome! I love to try and answer questions that are just hanging out there. I feel badly for those who don't register, as it just doesn't seem plausable that they will come back to check and see if there is an answer after so long a time, and I don't bother answering those. If it's a week or so since they posted, then I give it a go.

Newt

5. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi I just did a search for rhubarb and came across this thread. I looked up the link and had all my questions answered. Thank you both so much

6. Newt

Micki, you are so very welcome. Since I posted that statement about not answering old questions by those that are unregistered I have changed my mind. One never knows when a response will be helpful to someone. Glad that helped you.

Newt