Identification: Requesting houseplant ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Margot, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I don’t like this houseplant and have nowhere to put it but I can’t get rid of it because it was a present from my daughter. Does anyone know its proper name? What I’m calling it now isn’t very complimentary.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Dracaena fragrans 'Compacta' (syn. Dracaena deremensis 'Compacta').

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

What a shame it's so easy to create new plants from it! You could cut it off a few inches below the leaves and push the cutting into the soil mid-distance from the original stem and the side of the pot. And leave the old stem there, which should send up one or two new growing tips. So it would be a fuller plant. If it doesn't work, you could say you did an experiment and it unfortunately failed.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Thank you Jungledeeper and Wendy for identifying the plant and propagation info. I wish there was more room in my house for plants . . . I'm not getting anywhere trying persuade my husband to build a solarium . . .

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This one doesn't require much light. You could stick it in some normally-too-dark-for-plants corner. These don't usually flower as houseplants even with good light.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

You might consider donating your Dracaena to a nursing home, office, school that has adequate space and appropriate growing conditions.