repoting or not

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Christophe, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

I 've been collecting JM for 10 years, I 've had just common cultivars so far : Butterfly, Shishio improved, Veridis, Inabe Shidare, Orange dream, Osakazuki and few more.

This year I discovered the famous nursery of Holland, Esveld. I couldn't resist to enlarge my collection with less common cv. Most of them are one year grafted. Could you tell me if I should repot them this spring or should I let them in their pot and repot them next automn. I Think most of them were repoted just last spring.

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You can repot at any time. I would look at the roots and see if they are overcrowded, and let that be my guide on whether to repot or not.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I find these 1 yr grafts from Esveld are sometimes not very strong. I agree with K4, you have to look at the roots; but if they aren't really starting to get crowded, I'd leave them. And maybe in the fall too.

Now that you've discovered Esveld, your challenge will be not to spend all your money! :) They have quite a selection.

-E

4. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Thanks a lot for your advices. You 've conforted me in what I thought but I wasn't sure. I hope Esveld uses quite a good peat. Had anyone an experience with their peat ?

Unfortunetly Emery, I've already spent too much !!!!!

5. emery

Yes, the substrate is good quality. It's got a lot of coir fibers in it to keep it free draining. It holds moisture quite well though, actually much better than the rougher stuff I make. Slugs like it very much, but so do worms and roots.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Same opinion as above, but tell me, did you have them delivered or did you go to the Netherlands to get them yourself?...

I'm trying to refrain from going there on a shopping spree: once there, I'm afraid I might explode my credit card! ^^

7. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Alain,
    I did have them delivered with some very good surprises (especially a magnificent murasaki kyiohime : very nice shape, a pot with overcrowded roots, probably a 3 or 4 years plant) and some less, but for 15 euros each it's quite a good deal.

I've already planed to drive to booskop in 2 years, I've a new, quite big garden "to fill up" ...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Chris welcome !:-) if you grown your maples in pot when re-pot,add a little pieces of pine bark ,look if the fertilize is present again ;if is present not fertilize..I visit Esveld with my french friends Gomero(after grafting day ,in Dick van der Maat nursery) is one fantastic experience!..of course monsier Guy Maillot is one best maples nursery too ;-)

9. emery

Hi Alex,

I hope to attend grafting day this year! Anyone else going?

I've visited Esveld before (in summer) but it might be another chance to swing by...

-E

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Merci de ta réponse / thanks for your reply

I had, er, let's say a little argument with Maillot: like any serious provider, 99.9 % of the stuff he sells is fine I'd heard.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  11. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

In one of my orders, I had two JM broken, Esveld replaced them without any questions .... that's why I fell very confortable with them and ordered some more .... unfortunatly for my credit card !!!!

12. emery

Well, Esveld will not always replace maples that are broken in shipping. Rather it seems to be along the lines of "you take the risk, so..." Of course many times what I order is available only in extremely limited quantity, (usually not palmatum/japonicum species), so I can't say I blame them (much :)).

They do guarantee all maples to be true to name, and have always credited or replaced errors immediately. Further they're very good to work with, flexible about shipping times, quick to clear up problems, etc. A very good company.

Alain, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with M. Maillot. I have only ordered from him a couple of times, but once when a maple was not true to what I'd ordered, he issued me a check immediately. So I hope I am right in thinking your situation is atypical, but I will say that disease is so omnipresent in the world of Japanese maples that I (personally) consider it par for the course when I get a bad one now and again, or a graft that doesn't take. Maybe I'm just more of a fatalist! :)

13. alex66

i agree with Emery,i received one izu no odoriko dead after one week monsier Maillot re -send me one .Guy is one my best maples friends,im afraid for your experience ,over my 50/437maples are by Maillot!!

14. alex66

Emery the grafting day is one stunning day :-)this year in not possible for me :-( Boskoop reamain one dream country not only maples ,incredible confer too !many nursery ...wow!!

15. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Thanks for your advices. Just one more question :
    - What's the size of the pine bark you use.

16. alex66

around 1cm x 1cm x 2 mm :)

17. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

Thanks Alex