Replacement Tree Recommendation - North Facing Clay

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by robray, Nov 13, 2020.

1. robray

robray New Member

We built a new house and all the top soil was removed. I ended up with a lot of clay. I need to plant a tree in my front north facing yard. My first attempt was a Hemlock, but it has now died. There's lots of finger pointing and I still don't know exactly why it died. I don't want to relive all those painful details, but if it will help choose a new tree that is more likely to survive we can go there.

I am required to plant a replacement tree so I am on the hunt for something else. City of Vancouver has a replacement tree list, but I don't think it is a drop dead requirement to pick something off it.

Here is it if you want to check it out... https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/replacement-trees-instructions.pdf

I did want a conifer because I'd like to have some green in the front yard all year long. However, at this point I would rather have something that will survive. A tree that maxes out ~30' would be ideal.

The backyard has similar soil, but gets more sun. I planted a red maple there a year ago and it seems happy so far. It's a beautiful tree and I can't wait to see it grow and provide some shade in the summer.

Any recommendations for trees in my situation? I am located around Main and 41st if that makes a difference.

I don't really trust my landscaper anymore so I will be digging and prepping the hole myself, so I could use advice in that area too.

Appreciate any help!

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

For a clay soil you may try Thuja occidentalis or Larch/Tamarack, if conifers are preferred. Otherwise oak, silver maple, ash, linden, birch and elm should also do well on clay.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

For a clay soil you may try Thuja occidentalis or Larch...

None of those suggestions are evergreen of course except for the first one. Also the 30' height cutoff is a significant restriction. Otherwise Abies, Chamaecyparis, Juniperus, Pinus, Taxus and Thuja are all adapted to non alkaline clay soils. With particular smaller growing cultivars of all of these being on the general market. But then, as always there is the matter of what is available at local outlets at this specific time - it would be most efficient to find out what you can get now and then choose from among those. Unless planning to have something shipped directly to you, from elsewhere.

Regarding the digging and prepping have a look at this:

Horticultural techniques for successful plant establishment

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/Planting-fact-sheet.pdf

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Margot and Georgia Strait like this.
  4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

My suggested list is based on the requirement of "However, at this point I would rather have something that will survive."
    Dead evergreen tree is possibly no greener than deciduous trees.

5. robray

robray New Member

I really appreciate the suggestions. I wonder if my clay soil is non alkaline. Is that something I should figure out? And if so, how does one do that?

Juniper would be interesting from a gin loving perspective. I don't see any Junipers on the COV list of trees so that might be a no go.

I have asked the nursery that provided the original Hemlock to give me a list of what's available. I also asked for recommendations on what they think would work in clay. Hopefully I can figure out a nice tree that can have a happy life.

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@robray good afternoon, just seen this thread and wanted to say that clay soil is generally on the alkaline side of the scale. Now that doesn't mean you can't plant the trees you want, but it would be a good idea to purchase a soil testing kit to see how alkaline it is. Once you have identified the acidity level then you can look at what trees would be best suited to your garden.
    I have attached this from the Royal horticultural society that is a good read and the section 'working with your soil' is very useful.

Soil types

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Alkaline soil of any texture unlikely in Vancouver.

8. Acerholic

Have read that soil ph in Vancouver ranges from 4 - 8 , so a test to verify if @robray is in the higher region will give a good idea of ideal trees to grow.

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Can you remember where you read that? It is widely accepted that, due to our heavy rainfall, the soils in coastal British Columbia tend to be naturally acidic.

10. Acerholic

4-8

Average soil pH ranges are from 4-8. Each plant has a specific pH range for optimal growth. Phosphorous, one of the three main soil nutrients, is strongly dependent upon soil pH. Conditions that are overly acidic or basic decrease phosphorous availability to plants.
    This was online re Vancouver. It doesn't have a link. You know best being a resident, so I would go with yours and Ron B comments.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020