Removal of Magnolia Tree

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Shelltine, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Shelltine

Shelltine Member

I have a very large Magnolia Tree in my front yard. After some research I've discovered that it is diseased with scale, covered in black mold (honeydew according to some websites) and that it is dying. I would like to remove it because it attracts ALOT of bees and the flowers are very sparse. When I remove it will the soil underneath and surrounding the tree still contain scale? If I decide to plant a new tree such as a maple or birch will these bugs come out of the soil and attack my new tree? Should I take the Magnolia down and re-seed with grass for a year or so to make sure these bugs won't come back?
    I love this forum - especially after spending over 1 1/2 hours yesterday just trying to figure out what the black stuff was that was covering the tree!
    Thank you for your help!

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Magnolia scale is a species targeting, for the most part, only Magnolias. If you remove the tree, there is no reason not to replant with something else immediately.

Another option would be to hire a certified arborist to treat the tree with a dormant oil (probably too late in spring now) or a systemic pesticide to kill the scale and allow the tree to recover. You don't have to lose your tree yet....no scale = more flowers & no scale = no honeydew = no bees or mildew

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or to release predators / parasites to kill off the scale insects, in a more sustainable manner.