Reminders of the Past

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Gordo, May 28, 2006.

1. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I feel fortunate to have a few of these old stumps on my property, reminders of the magnificent forest that once must have stood here, but also of the tough breed of men who eked out a living hand cutting and then hauling them out. This stump, likely a Douglas Fir or Western Red Cedar has the typical Red Huckleberry (Vaccinium parvifolium) growing from it. It measured a surprising 15 feet in circumference.
    I often look at the remaining smaller trees in this woods, the progeny of these forest giants, and hope that some day, eons from now, they too might mature to achieve arboreal grandeur.

Large  Stump.jpg

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the photograph and reflections. You are indeed really fortunate to have some of those old stumps. Are you really not sure whether yours are Douglas fir or red cedar?

3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

When all the bark is gone, its a bit more difficult, but given the age, & large splaying at the base, probably Cedar here. I tried cutting through a very old & enormous downed Cedar log with my chainsaw once, only to discover that much of the interior wood was still solid. I finally gave up.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd call this a cedar stump.