Rhododendrons: Rejuvination pruning or have I killed a Rhodo?

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Dirt Diva, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Dirt Diva

Dirt Diva Member

I'm a strata maintenance landscaper and as such we sometimes have to do things that we are asked, not necessarily what may be best for the plants.
    We are currently working on some heavy rejuvination pruning of all the shrubs in the fronts of this townhouse complex. The snow is still on the ground (Dec) but the temps have remained above zero. I had to take a large leaf rhodo that was between 4-5 ft tall down to 18 inches. All that is left is a single trunk split into three branches 1 1/2 -2 inches in diameter, no other small branches or leaves. I made very clean cuts on a slight angle. The strata council is pleased, the resident is FREAKED! Have I killed it or is Mother Nature going to save my bacon and eventually regrow a great rhodo?

Help, how hard is too hard when it comes to pruning Rhodos?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

normally Rhododendrons will exhibit dormant or latent buds, pruning to these can be done and regrowth will be likely. if it is an older, established plant, it may grow back due to reserves in the root system. In future, perhaps try to educate the clients (strata, homeowners etc) and try to talk them out of what they are doing if its a bad idea. www.treesaregood.com is a good site for consumer info and locally so is the BCLNA www.bclna.com they have te BC landscape standard available for purchase which spells out care levels and such for contracts as well as general good practices.

For my clients that want a Rhodo pruned, I give them an estimate any time of year, then when they agree, I let them know I will be by in late spring or early summer to take care of business. if they dont understand why, tell them... if you cut it during winter you are cutting off all next years flowers. and, it may kill the plant, let me do it after blooming and all will be well.