Red leaf foliage .

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by trikus, Nov 4, 2007.

1. trikus

trikus Active Member

Lots of plants have a red new leaf , palms cycads aroids trees ..
    Some have been selectivly bred to retain the red colour for a long time .
    Anthurium Red Beauty is one of these. I have grown seeds on of 2 forms of this and they are very good . This cultivar is from the collection of Herb Bosworth , he is famous for selecting Lychee cultivars for commercial crops . As well as growing many exotic plants .

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yeah Mick I just love red in the garden, it goes so well with green. I have about 6 red palms, but I have never heard of red cycads?? Please tell more...

Ed

3. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I really need to have that plant, I will be looking for it! Its GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

4. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I think I've seen the Red Beauty once; it looked as though it had been soaking in water with red dye in it. Oh, and red inflorescences, too! I'd love to do some hybridizing with it if I can find one to obtain for myself.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe the name of the plant should be made the name of the thread, instead of "red leaf plant" which sounds like your post is an identification question.

6. trikus

trikus Active Member

I do not think you can change the title of the thread .
    I have a few Caladiums with very red foliage as well .
    Some friends have been breeding Caladiums for a while .

Attached Files:

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Stop teasing me MIck!! lol When is your next load going to Brisbane mate. I'm in...

Ed

8. etropicals

etropicals Member

That red beauty is an absolutely stunning plant. Would you have any small ones to offer up in a trade?? I would love to have one, email me privately if your interested. I have lots to offer.
    TR9736@yahoo.com

9. trikus

trikus Active Member

Sorry its just impossible to trade plants internationally anymore without great expense .
    I am sure it is in the trade around the States somewhere , I got seeds from a grower in Central America .

10. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Its almost too much trouble to trade within the US between states as well. Postage has skyrocketed for Priority Mail, and, if you try to follow the Federal and State Agricultural laws at all, there are many states that you may well be excluded from legally trading with.

I actually know someone in Florida who has Red Beauty. So I know its available here and I will eventually get it.

11. BigBill

BigBill Member

I have grown thousands of the red beauty in my nursery. We got it as tissue culture linners from rancho tissue technolgy in California before it was canceled. We only have a few that we keep in out breading program now. we have made some nice crosses with flowering varrieties. It keeps that red leaf even with the babbies we have made with it.