Red Dragon... Can anyone say 'Divorce'?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ColbyTrio, Mar 25, 2005.

1. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

Well I did it! I finally bought a Red Dragon. It's about 4ft high and 4ft wide. It's in a 10gal pot and I paid $149.

I drove about an hour away from my home today to scope out other nurseris but in the end I bought this sucker right around the corner...go figure. Now I just have to tell the wife how much I paid for (as she would call it) a 'bush'.

Attached Files:

2. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

One more thing... this tree is VERY thick but the pictures make it look a bit skimpy.

3. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Hey Colby,

Beautiful tree! I just bought a red dragon this year in Pa about the same size, same price. I can only hope my tree looks as good as yours. My tree is still dormant, but it won't be long before it breaks. When it opens, I will send a picture. Good luck with your tree. It looks like a winner.

P.s. Tell your wife thats just the ticket price, you got yours on a beginning of the year sale.

4. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice tree, I had posted a picture of my Red Dragon last year and it was purchased in 2000 for $55 and is still smaller than yours. I would think that according to my experience that you made an excellent purchase! I can tell you from experience that they are very slow growing, a three year Garnet planted in the same general area is actually larger! Still, the Red Dragon is my only dissectum that remains deep red all season.

Swanny

5. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice observation swanny. My 3-4 year old plant is also smaller than that tree and I have not seen it send out chutes like the ones present on that one, it grows quite slow and compact.

6. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

mjh, can you post some pictures? my Red Dragon is also sending out short, strong, stubby shoots, but at least it is growing....

David

7. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

I've had my Red Dragon for 3-4 years, and I would be surprised if it has grown 6" during that time. This year the new growth is less than 1" so far. Very slow. At this rate it will be 8 years old by the time it looks like yours.