Red Chestnut woes!

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Cathy Orchid, May 15, 2008.

1. Cathy Orchid

Cathy Orchid Member

My Red Chestnut is about 12 years old and about 10 feet high. It had a slow start to begin with, but is now quite healthy otherwise. The problem is that it has never really flowered yet. Two years ago, it had 3 flowers and also different coloured flowers- a yellow, a watermelon, and a pink flower (very strange!). It is already too late for this year's flowers, but I would appreciate any information for subsequent flowering. It is within the root zone of a towering black walnut tree, if that is any indication of it's problems?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No such thing as a Red Chestnut! . . . do you mean Red Horse-chestnut?

Can you post some photos?

3. Cathy Orchid

Cathy Orchid Member

Re: Red Horse Chestnut woes.

Yes, I'm sorry. I meant to say it's a Red Horse Chestnut tree. It has a cultivar name of "Briotii".

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks!

That is still too young for it to be flowering regularly, particularly if it is not in full sun; I would not expect regular heavy flowering until it is more like 15 to 20 years old, with just occasional flowers before that.

Juglone poisoning, and simple root competition, from the Black Walnut is certainly a possibility; I'm not sure if horse-chestnuts are susceptible to juglone or not.

5. Cathy Orchid

Cathy Orchid Member

Thank you very much for your information. I guess I'll just have to be patient!