Recommendations Needed for Red Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Aug 3, 2012.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I am looking for recommendations on a medium sized tree that keeps its red color - as much as possible - in high heat, decent humidity, and varying amounts of sun and shade (more shade when younger, more sun as it grows; mostly morning and late evening sun as the back of the house faces ESE, and this is along the north fenceline).

The spot in question is not small, but neither is it large, and it will be placed between the house, fence and a large, well established pin oak; it is 9ft between the edge of the house and the fence. I have attached a picture of the location in question; where the red circle is - and some of the potted trees - is the general spot I'm thinking of planting it. The purpose of the tree is for color/interest, but also to fill the gap under/by the pin oak to provide more privacy. Also, while I do want a 'screen', I want something that's still a little open and airy, not too dense. I'm thinking a tree that tops out around 15-20ft tall by 10-15ft wide will fill in the spot nicely, without looking cramped - or do I need to look for something smaller/larger?

Currently, I am leaning towards Nuresagi - the color seems to hold well here (I have a tiny one, maybe a foot tall), and I love the shape of the leaves, the refined and elegant presence it has. Moonfire is another strong contender, though I have been pointed towards Red Flash, Ezell's Red, and Samurai Sword (the latter two, though, ultimately get too big for the spot). Shojo nomura also caught my eye; at least from pictures, the leaves seem to be similar to that of Nuresagi.

I am open to any and all recommendations for this location. Ultimately, I hope to make the entire area - from the stone retaining wall to the fence, and the house to about the edge of the pin oak - a large, japanese style garden with several smaller maples, azaleas, etc, planted there.

Thank you!!

PS - please ignore the awful looking quince-from-hell in the foreground; I am in the process of *hopefully* killing it :)

Attached Files: