Re starting a Weigelia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Barbara Lloyd, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

The Kids (Adult type) have taken over the outdoor gardening. I have been deemed to old for the heavy work. They want to rearrange the top lawn/garden area. This means pulling out a large, old weigelia. I love this shrub and want to know how to restart a slip. Hardwood cutting? Softwood cutting? Any help please! barb

2. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Barb, I have only ever used softwood cuttings. And they work GREAT! Take a handful as insurance, and if all take root give the excess away....

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Pieter - Thank you for the info.
    My Grandmother used to pull down a 4-5 inch branch off a main stalk or branch to create a heal and then dip it in rootone. The rings around the tip of the heal - she said - could form new roots. I know this works for Roses and some other plants but needed confirmation about the weigelia. I'm begining to take "starts" of the plants in this yard that I like in preparation for moving. I am moving back to the old family homestead (24 acres) and will be able to plant and all sorts of things. :)) Thanks again....barb