re-potting and soil mix video's now on my youtube channel

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, May 12, 2021.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Active Member

I finished up three more japanese maple tree video's including:

How to re-pot your container grown Japanese maple

Do I need to re-pot my japanese maple? a quick simple guide

Soil mix for your container grown japanese maples

Lisa Harry, maf, AlainK and 3 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

For the more visual learners, these are brilliant Otto. I enjoyed them.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. Otto Bjornson

Thanks D!
    Although we did grow / graft maples for many years, the other part of the nursery was selling the trees. Every single tree was sold directly by us with no wholesalers involved. We were not a big nursery at all, but each spring we would sell approx 600-700 of our collection. Our biggest selling event each year was the famous Van Dusen Garden show in Vancouver. It always ran for 3 days in early June with well over half our inventory sold at that event, one tree at a time. Every single person that bought a tree from us became very informed on how to care and grow their new family member. We always included a "care card" which basically described everything I mentioned in the video. Nothing like keeping the customer happy!

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Something that a lot can learn from Otto in these days of sale sale sale on the Internet.
    But you do learn over time who are the good and who are the bad.

5. AlainK

AlainK Generous Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for posting Otto, that's very good advice and since I missed the time-slot to repot some of my maples because of the weather (very hot, then freezing), this is basically what I will do with mine.

But do you have advice, or even videos about repotting maples before budbreak, the way we "bonsai enthusiasts" do ? Some even wash out completely the roots before adding new soil mix, and prune them drastically, is it something that you would do, or is it something that one discards when growing maples as "nursery" trees ?

6. Otto Bjornson

When it comes to re potting before the buds open up, then a whole different ball game.
    You can do exactly as you say, bare root and wash out all soil, then trim back the roots as much as you feel required. When our really old specimens need re potting, we do that at the end of Feb. or early March. We don't pot them into yet a bigger container, we just literally prune the whole root structure back 4-6 inches ( 12-18 cm.). Then we place back into the pot with new soil on the outer perimeters.
    In the winter months you can bare root a young tree, wrap it in moist newspaper, then plastic and then ship it anywhere around the globe. We bought several young cultivators from Holland that way back in the mid 90's. All survived as we just potted them up once they arrived.

I will do a video of one of our old trees when I re pot , but it will be a few months before that will happen

AlainK likes this.
  7. AlainK

Thanks Otto.
    I look forward to another great contibution from you.

And, man, you can play an awful nice music, and a man that hath no music in himself, etc.

^_^

Alain

8. AlainK

I repotted, or rather "slip-potted" an Acer griseum today.

More or less the same technique, except that I pruned about 1/3rd of the roots at the bottom :

tech-transpot_210514a.jpg tech-transpot_210514b.jpg tech-transpot_210514c-griseum.jpg tech-transpot_210514d-griseum.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Active Member

Thanks @Otto Bjornson love the tutorial, also your in my area so its nice to see how you manage your JM in this climate. I’m about to slip pot a couple of my JM and I will later root prune one. It was recommended I used the Pine bark mulch but cant find it anywhere, glad to see the the fir is working well for you. I work in construction so I guess I could go to the carpenters shop and make my own if need be. Thanks again for the videos very helpful

10. Otto Bjornson

@Lisa Harry, any good quality nursery will sell fir based bark mulch as it is readily available. Or any compost/ recycling depot is even better as they always carry a good quality mulch.

And a pine based mulch would be fine. Basically anything without cedar as that would be way to acidic

Lisa Harry likes this.