Ranuncullus

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Erica, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

I see these flowers for sale everywhere. I wonder if they are perennial or annual?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Erica

Erica Active Member

Thanks Newt- Abbotsford is near Vancouver, BC, Canada, and think it's zone 5.

4. Newt

You are very welcome! I thought you were either in Canada or the UK. Hope they will grow for you!

Newt

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I wonder if you cold frame the flowering beds over the winter, perhaps they will survive ?

6. alkvinia kaye

alkvinia kaye Member

Ranunculus I think they are gorgeous. I just purchased 5 potted plants. We moved to Wittman Az a yr ago last august and I have been landscaping ever since. I have a beautiful garden spot next to a rose tree but I water that area regularly. I think these go dorment in the summer and the tuberous roots need to stay dry but wont the dry heat rot them too? It says they like sun but in Az wouldnt a shaded area be better and they last longer kept from extreeme heat.? Arent these a spring winter fall item?

7. Newt

Hi Alkvinia,

I think you should be more concerned about the water they will receive when they are dormant. They don't like to be watered then and can rot. Maybe you should find another spot. If you are concerned about intense heat you might be able to find a spot that gets afternoon shade but still gets 6 hours of sun or more. These growing instructions should be helpful.
    http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=42

Newt

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Zone 8.

9. LynnValley

LynnValley Member

I'm in North Vancouver and just bought one of these myself. Could I plant it outside now (it's in a pot already blooming) or should I keep it inside until after frost is over?

Thanks in advance!

10. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

They don't over winter for me in zone 7...they are basically used as a cool weather annual here. I would think you could plant outside now as I have done it early in the spring (in pots) and they even take a light frost.

11. Newt

Lynn, I wouldn't suggest you put it outside until all chance of frost has passed. It's probably been forced in a greenhouse and won't tolerate such a change of climate. If you read the link I gave to Alkvinia, it should answer your questions.

Newt

12. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I am growing a dozen from seed in Vancouver and when I read up on them before planting the seeds I formed the clear impression that they will have to be brought inside over the winter.

If Vancouver is zone 8, Abbotsford can't possibly be better than zone 6.

13. LynnValley

LynnValley Member

I was at the nursery yesterday, and they had more ranuncullus there, so I asked one of the gardening experts there about them. I had bought mine at a convenience store, and the cashier didn't even know if it was an indoor our outdoor plant (the plants weren't even labeled) so I figured I'd get better advice at the nursery.

He said, for the Vancouver area (zone 8) they can be planted, even this time of year, either in the garden or in a planter. They have a wide variety of forced bulbs that are for planting in outdoor planters for early colour. He recommended planting it pot and all, as they like to be root bound, and have a tendency to topple over if you take them out of the pot. After the plant dies back, he said to dig up the pot and then remove it and plant it in the ground. It should overwinter happily and come back and flower next spring like all other bulbs.

For anyone out there that is unfamiliar with Vancouver climate, we currently have snow drops and crocuses galore in bloom, and daffodils and tulips are starting to come up. Daffodils are typically done by the end of March, so planting forced bulbs this time of year outside is just a bit of a "cheat" for early colour, and not really a big risk taking venture.

Hope that helps.
    ~LynnValley