Appreciation: Ramalina menziesii, Canopy Fishnet.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by wcutler, Aug 9, 2017.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm excited to have seen and identified this Ramalina menziesii, Canopy Fishnet, on many trees along the interpretive walk at West Beach, at Deception Pass State Park in Washington.
    Ramalina-menziesii_DeceptionPass-WestBeach_Cutler_20170808_151216.jpg Ramalina-menziesii_DeceptionPass-WestBeach_Cutler_20170808_151423.jpg Ramalina-menziesii_DeceptionPass-WestBeach_Cutler_20170808_151449.jpg Ramalina-menziesii_DeceptionPass-WestBeach_Cutler_20170808_151508.jpg Ramalina-menziesii_DeceptionPass-WestBeach_Cutler_20170808_151508c.jpg

I certainly didn't figure out the ID from this interpretive sign.
    Ramalina-menziesii_DeceptionPass-WestBeach_Cutler_20170808_151614.jpg
    Old Man's Beard is Usnea longissima, now also called Dolichousnea longissima. Witch's Hair can be Alectoria sarmentosa or Imshaug's Witch's Hair Lichen (Alectoria imshaugii); neither of those seemed right. Fortunately, I found this thread: A few lichen images, with the link to Lichen Images. @Frog, this might interest you. I had to make a decision which forum to post this in, chose Pac NW natives.

allelopath and Frog like this.
  2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Beautiful. Loved the close up photo especially.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very nice, a lichen I'd like to photograph some day.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lovely finds Wendy! Yes I had seen the link you mentioned before, and thank you for sharing it as well. On the west coast of Vancouver Island I find R. menziesii intertwined with Usneas.

Usneas can be a bit challenging to ID to species sometimes: U. longissima usually reveals itself in length and the multitude of similar-length short segments branching off the main strands. There is also a very hair-like Ramalina that can look a bit like Alectoria or Usnea.

Regardless, lovely critters :-) Thanks for alerting me to your post!
    -frog

5. wcutler

So I wonder if I just happened to get the Ramalina in focus, but there were the others as well. If I go there again, I'll have to pay closer attention. Thanks for mentioning that, @Frog.

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Wendy: May I move this thread to the Fungi & Lichen forum?

7. wcutler

OK, @Frog. Thanks. I made my point about its being native in the Pac NW, but I guess people are probably more likely to look for it in Lichens. I've moved it.