Questions on cambrium damage and die-back....

Discussion in 'Maples' started by McHoop, Mar 26, 2009.

1. McHoop

McHoop Member

While tending to my trees today, I was discouraged to discover on one of my larger maples, what appears to be a dead/dying root section just above ground level. It is one of the larger roots; running parallel with the ground before entering the soil, looking much like a claw. The bark has fallen off of it and the wood looks dark. The tree is probably five years old and about six feet tall. It otherwise looks normal . Is there hope?

Also, a question about the annual tip die-back. I've noticed the past two seasons that I enter early spring very encouraged by the lack of apparent tip loss. However, it seems as the weather warms and growth starts, the die-back manifests itself. Is this the norm?

McHoop

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Read up on Pseudomonas to see if that might be a candidate. Or something else may come up if you search "maple diseases", "maple dieback" etc. Can't take effective action without identifying source of problem.

Indiana Cooperative Extension may be able to tell you what agent(s) is present.