Question about dafodiles

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MannieBoo, May 14, 2009.

1. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I'm new to growing dafs and wanted to know, now that my blooms are almost done, I still have a few tardy ones left to bloom, should I cut the foilage down or leave it. I was told I should cut them by one friend and another said to leave them, they will wilt on their own, I have clusters growing in my yard and I've been cutting the grass around them. Now that most of the flowers are spent, they don't look so nice. Cut or not to cut?

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

It is recommended that you leave the leaves on for at least 6 weeks after the flowers have faded. Then you can cut them off, mow them ,whatever. Tying them up with rubber bands,or folding the leaves is also frowned on! It is leaves that give the bulb the strength to flower next year. You may find this of interest. Scroll to bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plantprofile_daffodil.shtml

3. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Thanks a bunch Silver Surfer, read the info on the site you gave me. Now I'm going to do a little beheading and will look forward to next years blooms. I think I can handle the leaves for another month or so.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

always leave the leaves on so that the bulbs can get the nutrients they need to be able to bloom the following year!!

once the flowers die off, you can cut the flower stalk off right away, though.