Question about bigleaf maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by cpen, May 2, 2004.

1. cpen

cpen Member

A bigleaf maple growing in my yard appears to be "bleeding" sap. Is this a problem for the tree? If it is, what can I do about it?

Many thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can you post some pictures? Bleeding sap is not a good thing generally speaking but the circumstances need to be clarified a bit. Did you prune it? How much / how long has it been bleeding? Are there cankers or sores on the tree (probably where it is bleeding from if the answer is yes). How big / old is the tree. What kind of Maple is it? Bigleaf Maple isn't very precise (common names are not accurate like botanical names). If you can get pictures try to get a few closeups of the sap bleeding areas, the point where the sap originates and of the tree in general (planting location, overall view, old pruning wounds near sap bleeding points?)

3. cpen

cpen Member

Description and photos

The tree is, I believe, Acer macrophyllum. I acquired the property at the end of January, so I don't have any history. I don't recall it bleeding when I first saw it but am not certain it wasn't. The tree is 20-25 feet in height. There are some old pruning scars. The bark is split on opposite sides, with the top of the split at about 8 feet from the ground and just below where it branches. The sore in the photos is on the east side of the tree, towards the house.

Attached Files: