Queen Palm appears to be dying, has spots and turning brown

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by InfinityMI, May 17, 2007.

1. InfinityMI

InfinityMI Member

Hello,

We recently planted 3 queen palms on a 2nd row beach house in Crystal Beach, TX. I realize that Queen Palms are considered moderate tolerant to salt but noticed some neighbors did have success so I decided to plant them rather than mex. palms.

The palms have been planted for 4 weeks and they look like they are dying. About week 2 I noticed some spots on the leaves (mainly at tips) and the leaves were turning yellowish. Week 4, an extensive amount of leaves are brown on all palms.

The palms get watered 3 times a day for 15 minutes using a sprinkler. On week 3 we decided to tie the leaves so the wind would not effect them as much since the winds recently have been high and up to 30 miles per hour. I called a local palm store in Houston, Tx and they suggested to spray a fungacide so I did. At this point, I am worried that they will die and they are expensive.

Any insight on what I should do? I plan to go to the property on Friday.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi I see similar effect after planted palm in my garden, if central leaves are rich green no problem the palms are in life, if no the palm 80%dead however good luck.alex

3. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

I have never grown these palms indoor let alot outside, but, I think that they might be in some sort of shock due to the move. talk to your neighbors and see if they have done anything special to the soil or nutrients they are giving the queens. GOod luck with them.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Syagrus romanzoffiana - (Queen palm) needs regular moisture and slightly acidic soil. A humusy type soil is best which contains higher organic content. Ensure that the all roots are getting moisture during the watering process. The initial transplant and recent winds are likely the cause of the leaflet damage.

Cheers, LPN.

5. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

I, too think you have wind/salt damage. In Florida, queens need micronutrients (our sand soils are deficient of several elements), but that may not be an issue in Texas. They like moisture and fertility!

A mystery disease that kills queens has emerged in Florida, but you don't have a pattern of leaves turning brown from the bottom to the top. So don't worry about that.