pruning wiegela

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bedixon, Jul 12, 2008.

1. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

We got a little wiegela in a gallon pot a couple of years ago, and put it in a container on the deck for now(one of these days we're gonna get deer fenced). It bloomed profusely this year, just a mass of pinkness. I'm reading up on how to prune this and found a thread that explained how flowers form on last year's growth, so I'll want to be careful... not much experience with pruning but want to learn. Tips welcome!
    My question is: same plant sprouted a couple of suckers from the base this year, and these are variegated while the rest of the plant is not. I was told I should remove these, but haven't (I like them) They're getting to be over a foot long now, and again, I am not sure, to cut or not to cut - what is the reason for removing these, if any?
    thank you very much!

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

there are variegated ones that you could buy. if this one is all green with the variegated shoots coming from the bottom I think the reason is to prune them off so as not to have the whole shrub eventually become that. It is usually the opposite...getting a variegated plant and then having it revert to all green. but if you like it that way keep them.

3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I think it might be nice to have both... I wasn't sure if leaving them there compromised the plant in any other way... I'm really new at pruning and have learned the hard way from a few mistakes... sometimes it's best just to ask first! and this is such a great place to do that, so many thanks