pruning trees: how and where

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by thomaslue, Sep 8, 2008.

1. thomaslue

thomaslue Member

See the attached photos below. We planted these trees a few years ago to provide shade on the west side of our house. We are happy with how quickly they are growing, but I have noticed that their shape is somewhat vertical. We would like to prune them so that the branches will grow out more horizontally, and provide more shade on the ground by our house. The red line in the first photo shows where I think I show top off the trees, to force more horizontal growth. Does this look right? Note: If I don't do this now, the power line crews will do it eventually anyway, but at the power line level, which is too high for me. The second photo is just another angle of the trees, FYI. Also, I am wondering if this is the best time of year to do this...?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. thomaslue

thomaslue Member

Thanks for that link.
    That is an amazing site, but I am such a pruning novice that I still don't know where to begin with my trees.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

First identify why you are pruning, then figure out the how part. The how part contains the when and where parts. :)

Yes, the site I linked to has lots of information and powerpoint slideshows etc.

5. thomaslue

thomaslue Member

I think I am pretty clear on the "why."
    I am trying to make the tress be more wide, more round and shorter (less tall and less skinny).

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wait for them to develop further rather than heading them back. Some day you may think they are too big in all dimensions.

Topping trees causes forking. Forks may break later. In addition these look like they may be Callery pears, these can be prone to splitting as it is.