Pruning Apple tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Gardenlover, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

I have done some mild pruning on my young apple tree, I am in zone 6. It should not be a problem this time of season(low temps injuring it)...or is it?
    I read it is a good idea to prune fruit trees in MID winter. I consider this MID WINTER!

2. galiano

galiano Active Member

I'm not sure what the experts will say but I always prune my apple trees mid winter. Mind you we're in the balmiest part of Canada on Southern Vancouver Island.

Also I just did the first Oil/Sulphur spray on all my fruit trees. Next one in about a month.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

As long as the tree sap isn't flowing... prune away!

4. Gardenlover

no sap...

thanks!

5. K Baron

I should also add, and if it isn't minus..... keep to the plus 5 to 10c range, by mid to late February?

6. Warrior 101

Warrior 101 Member

As a former Ontario guy who lived minutes from an apple orchard, mid to late January is the very time I would notice piles of pruned branches between the rows. Most homeowners tended to wait for comfortable days but you have received good advice that now is the time.

Also since you say "young apple tree" I am thinking that there was not very much to prune. Sounds like fun. Enjoy that tree

7. K Baron

Also, remember commercial pruning is always practiced in advance to residential pruning, due to the scale of work involved...

8. Warrior 101

Warrior 101 Member

Good point regarding the scale of work involved. While a commercial operation may be willing to allow some losses in order to ' get the job done', I have not seen any negative effects from their timing..

9. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

10. Warrior 101

Warrior 101 Member

GREAT links. I just finished reading. As a 'newbie' I had wondered about becoming an active participant in these forums. I see I will learn a great deal and that the members are very helpful and knowledgeable

11. K Baron

FYI, summer pruning is more specific to espalier orchard and intensive crop culture..se Okanagan fruits growers... a backyard shade/crop tree requires very little summer pruning...unless corrective measures dictate. or it is in a container, or training as mentioned.

12. Gardenlover

thanks for all the advice. Better to ask if in doubt. We've had some really cold days, I have not seen any injury on the tree since pruning.