Pruning advice on this Baldsmith

Discussion in 'Maples' started by McHoop, Nov 20, 2010.

1. McHoop

McHoop Member

My Baldsmith had a growth spurt this summer. However, I'm not sure it's desirable from a long-term, esthetic standpoint... Note the vertical growth shoots. Is this desirable in the long term? Should these be pruned? Thanks.

McHoop

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd leave them.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I'd also leave them, adds useful height to the plant. Might look slightly awkward for a year but adds character in the long term. I might thin them slightly if some are competing for the same space.

4. John Hosie

John Hosie Active Member

Now that leaves have likely fallen, I'd take a good look at all of the branches on it. See what the predominant form is, and eliminate branches that are not compatible with it. This means those branches would, most likely, be sacrificed so that the tree can be maintained in a balanced form.

I'd consider two other options, though. To start with, I'd try air layering on those branches next spring. This way I could end up with additional trees. Second, I'd think about grafting them onto an unnamed seedlings - also propagating the variety. (I'm not sure about the grafting. It may require other considerations.)

Again, the form of the Japanese Maple is all important most of the time. Branches that are not contributing to the appearance need to be removed, or the tree looks sloppy.