Pruning a very large split leaf philodendron

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Lisa Nelson, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Lisa Nelson

Lisa Nelson New Member

Hi - I’m new here and not sure just where to post this question. As many of you may know, Texas suffered a severe 4-5 day hard freeze here in February. Many (all) of my outdoor plants froze - some will survive. Among them is a very large split leaf philo (see images). We waited to make sure there would be no more freezes and then cleared away the damaged leaves. This plant has frozen before but not for 4 days. My question now is do I cut those stalks down to the crown and do I sever those roots completely? The plant is showing signs of new life from deep within the crown - one lone shoot is emerging (see image). The root of this plant is older than me. I have moved it (or parts of it) three times. I do not want to lose it if at all possible. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Lisa Nelson

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2021
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably better if someone with a bit more experience replies, but I would take a "wait and see" approach to see what has survived and what hasn't. As long as you are okay with its present appearance, you should know within the next few months what will push new growth--and then you can prune away anything dead at any time.

Sorry about your plant -- it looks like it was quite the specimen before then.

3. Lisa Nelson

Lisa Nelson New Member

Thank you Daniel. We will wait and see. We were advised by a nursery here to apply copper fungicide to prevent fungus in the “weeping” areas and not cut it for now. We are fine with it this way. Attached is an image of it in its full glory up until February’s freeze.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

What a beautiful plant - that's so sad to see. You said it's showing signs of life. I hope you'll show us photos now and then while it's recovering.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, that's good advice re: the fungicide, given the warmth and humidity your area experiences.

6. Lisa Nelson

Lisa Nelson New Member

Hi all - I just thought I would let you know that the plant survived and is growing well. I've attached a picture for you. Thank you for your help and interest!

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin and wcutler like this.
  7. Lisa Nelson

Lisa Nelson New Member

PS - we did end up cutting the stalks back when we had more than a few leaves showing - all of them from the heart of the plant.