Pruning a Pachira tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by valerie7, Jun 19, 2014.

1. valerie7

valerie7 Member

Hi,

I bought a beautiful, braided, Pachira tree about a year ago and it has been growing wildly ever since I brought it home. At the end of last year I had to cut a few branches (about midway through) because it was getting too tall. We are now 6 or 7 months later and i have to prune it again because it is reaching the ceiling (which means it is 9 ft tall with the pot). It is growing incredibly fast at the moment... so fast that one day the top leaf wasn't touching the ceiling and the next it was bent from it!

Last time I pruned it, I didn't touch the braided trunks, only the branches. It took very little time for sprouts to shoot up from the places (nodes) where I had cut the branches. There was no new branch that appeared on the trunks.

This time around I would like to prune it harder because the leaves that have been there ever since we bought it are getting 'old' and not looking as nice as the newer ones. I would also like to see sprouts forming from the trunks instead of from the branches.

How and where can I cut it without having it die on me? I love that tree and don't want to harm it in any way. I am attaching a picture so that you can actually see how tall it has gotten!

Thank you :-)

Attached Files:

2. JavierCN

JavierCN New Member

Hey, you posted this 5 years ago, did you fix your problem? I'm asking because I have one of those trees but I planted it on a sidewalk and idk how deep can the roots grow.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2019