Propagation: propigation of a ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by cindy t, Feb 22, 2009.

1. cindy t

cindy t Member

My ponytail is over 6 feet tall she has pups all over her stalk . How do I remove these and re-plant them into new plants. I would like to share them with friends and family

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would cocoon a soil bag around each base of the pups, keeping the medium moist at all times, along with some rooting hormone, then, after when the roots are well established by next year, you can repot them as gifted trophies from the mother plant!

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Post any pics if you are successful, it's not the easiest way to propagate these, seed is the easiest method. I can't say I've heard many success stories but it's worth a shot, trying K Baron's approach would probably be far better than cutting them off and trying to plant them.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ponytail Palm is not a palm at all, it belongs to the Lily family. The two most common methods of propagation, are seeds and cuttings. Seeds are sown in spring, in well drained pots filled with sandy loam placed in a greenhouse ---temperature 65 degrees (insure that the temperature doesn't become too warm). For spring cuttings, apply a rooting hormone to the base of the cutting, then inserted them in pots filled with sand or sandy soil. The pots are then set under mist, or into a propagating case to accelerate the formation of roots. A propagating case can be as simple as a box or container with a wire frame to support a polyethylene cover, to keep the humidity level high. Set the case in bright indirect light. Whichever method you decide to do, keep everything very sanitary. - Millet (2,427-)

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Do the cuttings still develop a nice caudex/base?

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy, to keep the task at hand simplified, unless you are a commercial plant profiteer, you may do well by allowing the cuttings to heal first before attempting to repot them, perhaps only try a few cuttings at a time for reassurance and their success for survival.