Propagation: Propagation of laceleaf maples using seeds

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Gabby, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

I have read, on many sites, instructions for propagating laceleaf maples using seeds or seedlings that may be collected as the tree loses its leaves in the fall. These seedlings are then refrigerated for a period of time (stratification) and then planted. I am interested in trying this, but although I have examined closely my five laceleaf maples, I fail to see anything but the leaves themselves. Any advice or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Gabby

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some laceleaf maples do not fruit much, if at all.

3. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thank you, Ron. I was hoping that, out of five, I might find some seeds.
    Gabby

4. Royce

Royce Member

I have an old (20 years) lace leaf. It seems to produce fruit (seeds) every 3rd or 4th year. The seeds are viable and I have grown a few plants from them. I did not know about freezing the seeds before planting. Maybe I will be more successful at propagation the next time. My main question is; do the trees go through cycles for seed production?

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

There is plenty of useful info on germination techniques from experienced growers here.

You can buy just a few seeds at a time from ebay sellers or get acquainted with some of the Japanese maple UBC regulars and someone would be happy to send you a few. This fall I collected a bunch from an upright green dissectum but I've already given them away. I've got a bunch of 'Hogyoku' samaras if you'd like any.