Propagating Oleander

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Olafhenny, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

I have two oleander plants, which are several years old and therefore too valuable (here in Canada) to take any chances with.

In order to experiment with their hardiness and winter dormant period treatment etc., I need some small plants, propagated from cuttings from the older ones. If somebody has any experience pertaining to the propagation of oleander, as to the best time of year and such, I would appreciate any guidance

Best,
    Olaf

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

3. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

4. Dannyal

Dannyal Member

above mentioned link says 'make 6' cuttings', needs correction!
    Propagation is really easy. can be done any time of the year. take couple of inches long cuttings and then there are two methods to propagate:
    Method 1: take cutting and and keep in the water for couple of weeks until you see roots emerging and then plant back into the soil. I find this method much better. Can be done indoors/outdoors easily.
    Method 2: take cutting, apply rooting gel or harmone powder and plant into the soil directly.
    Its not hardy in Canada. I keep them in a pot all the times. Pot goes in the ground after the last frost in the spring and stays there until fall. When temperatures drop to 10C. I dig up the pot and move indoors. It prefers full sun. Fertilize regularly during summer months and prune a little bit for more flowers.