Propagating from a freeze damaged Hoya

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Ell, May 7, 2007.

1. Ell

Ell Member

Even though I covered my 15 yr old Hoya plant during the few nights of freezing temperatures, it is severely damaged. I am trying to propagate from the few remaining stems. I tried putting stems in just water which resulted in no root growth. I now have the plant in new organic soil and cannot see any signs of growth. I tried putting just the leaves in soil and most have rotted as did the stems when I tried to root in water. Any suggestions?

2. cgarnier

cgarnier Member

Ell,

I've propagated a fair amount of hoya (still have stock from the same plant my grandmother had growing in her living room 30 yrs ago) and I've never had any trouble rooting it in water only. I know other folks who do it in soil or in a propagating mix like vermiculite, but I've always stuck with what I've always done... just water. NOW... thing is, it does take a while (usually a couple of months before there's a good amount of root). I've recently heard someone on another post mix a bit of rooting hormone in the water and things moved faster... go as you prefer.

Good luck!

Mike

3. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

I recently got 12 new and beautiful Hoya cuttings from Australia and at prsent are starting all of them.. I put rooting harmone on the ends and tucked them in good soil.Then popped the pot an all into a ziplock bag, zipped it up and I can already see new growth on a few of them..I also have some in soil in those clear containers that you get pastry in at the store with the lids. They are also doing very good. I have done the water way also but lke already said it takes forever.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The thing is if the original plant is still intact enough to root it should be able to grow back itself.

5. tweetie

tweetie Active Member

iv grown cuttings in large sweet /candy jars, soil, cutting with at least 2 leaves, a little water just damp, and lid on in a light place not too much sun though.
    works for me here in england.