problems with Rose bush.

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Annette, May 3, 2006.

1. Annette

Annette Member

I have a rose bush in my front yard, it has been there for years about maybe 25 yrs. it is under a tree and about maybe two roses will pop up a year. The problem is that they die with in a day or two. The bush looks in good shape but the roses come up as if they are always ready to die. They are yellow roses but not health looking. I need help because I am ready to give up and just dig it out and throw it away.

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is some contact information for you for the El Paso Rose Society: http://www.pswdistrict.org/text/detailinfo/societiestx.html. You can feel free to call them with your questions. It sounds as though the rose may be competing with the tree. With your temperatures close to 90 F right now, I would prefer that you ask a local rosarian about moving the rose. I have done in it midsummer 90-degree weather out of necessity only; one must water really really deeply and move it preferally before the sun comes up. If you have a photograph of the rose, they can try to identify it for you, and provide advice about growing beautiful roses. Hopefully you have another spot in the garden where it will flourish.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

You say it is under a tree. Is it in the shade of the tree? Is it within the drip line of the tree. If you answer to the affirmative to both questions, then your rose is short of two of the most important ingredients for healthy roses - sun and adequate water.