Problem with yews

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by willi2, Aug 20, 2020.

1. willi2

willi2 Active Member

I’m thinking this might be too much water. There were/are some Nandina bamboo planted in front of these which are quite stunted and sparse looking...wondering whether these two issues might be related. Have scheduled a sprinkler ‘audit’ to try and understand water issue...but would appreciate some expert advice/opinion as opposed to landscape maintenance person.

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When you dig in the soil right there what is it like?

3. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Well, I'm not exactly sure how to answer that, because I don't know what I'm looking for. Nothing looks unusual, but at this particular moment it is now raining like mad and I only had a trowel. It does seem to be spreading down the hedge though. I don't think the soil is very deep there as this is one of those plantings over parkades that seem to be prevalent. Maybe 2 feet max. Not very helpful...sorry...

4. Ron B

What is it about the situation that made you think the soil is too wet? Puddling? Stagnation?

5. willi2

willi2 Active Member

Yes, there is often puddling in that area. I think the whole property slopes down toward that area.

6. willi2

willi2 Active Member

I should try to clarify as best I can without a photo. The bed the yews are in is about 5 feet wide. In front of the yews is the bamboo. In front of the bamboo is a deeper edge where the puddling occurs. The yews are are above that severe puddling area. When I dug down around the base of the yews, it's not like it's muddy or anything like that...but grass in that area often stays very wet and can be a bit mushy at times.

7. Ron B

Yews do require good drainage