problem with red dragon

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Carol wharrie, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Carol wharrie

Carol wharrie Member

I have a acer palmatum dissectum red dragon which I planted in July 2004
    I have noticed that the leaves are turning yellow on the edges and some are dying.

2. Leaves yellowing from the inside of the plant at this time of the year in BC likely to be due to drought. Check soil moisture, you may be surprised.

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

More info needed

What exposure is the tree planted in? Was it bare root, potted, etc? Soil water etc. Pictures?

Acer palmatum planted in July is not necessarily a good recipie for visual success the first year. Your tree would not have had time to establish before taking a beating by hot summer sun? Providing this is the case, if not, yellowing, opposed to dryness is often a sign of too much water.

Pictures, more info, please. Red Dragon dose not always get good votes for its hardiness or durability, but mine has done fine this year planted this spring in western exposure and afternoon sun. Very little if any burning or bronzing, only a little more green than I would have liked to have seen. It also had very little or nearly no summer growth. Otherwise it is heathly and appears to be a good slow-growing dissectum.

I took this picture yesterday for someone else, but it might be useful here. This is a 2-3rd year Red Dragon and is starting to regain some of its purple color. It appears somewhat bronzed or orange because of the setting sun, a nice effect I guess.

Attached Files:

4. I think my Red Dragon is dying!

I live in Central IL and planted my Red Dragon several weeks ago. I only added top soil and peat moss to my clay soil. Now, the leaves are turning brown and falling off. We had some frost a few weeks ago and I was out of town last week so I was unable to water it. Is it hopeless or is there some way to save it?

5. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Try to keep it under a sheltered and shaded exposure. Do not overwater it.

If your tree is not too big and you have a greenhouse, you can put it there in a maximum moistured atmosphere.

6. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

You'd be surprised at how delicate yet resilient maples can be. Make sure it gets regular waterings keeping the roots moist, but not keeping the roots constantly wet.

You could try giving the tree some Superthrive or liquid kelp extract. Don't overdo the dosage though thinking a little or a lot more will be better. Half the dosage and apply twice as frequently. It *may* help. Do not give any fertilizer while the tree is trying to recover.

I would not put the tree in a greenhouse. Just leave it right where it is or if it's in a pot you might move it to a slightly shaded area. A greenhouse will be too hot during the day and the extra humidity could only cause an already stressed and weakened tree to catch pathogens that thrive in a moist environment....like powdery mildew and mold.

If the tree recovers you'll see new shoots coming out.

Layne