Problem with my Sangu Kaku

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Helen Leung, May 26, 2006.

1. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Could someone please take a look at my maple? I purchase this tree when it was just a foot tall, it's about 6 feet tall now (5 years later). I've just noticed the bottom of the tree is peeling away the bark. Is this a problem? Could I save this tree? I love it very much. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Helen

Attached Files:

2. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It looks like the tree was damaged at the graft union some time ago and the bark has peeled away. The good news is that the damage is healing. The tree looks to be in good shape. Watch the wound. Over time it should be OK.

Dale B.

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

What are the signs in this photograph that the trunk is healing? I can see that the tree otherwise looks great, but is there something indicative of healing at the wound? Another question I would have is whether something can be planted in front of the trunk to mask the wound, or does healing require good air circulation?

4. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, I would spray it with an anti fungal solution,let it dry and then paint the wound, with a propriety wound sealant, and check on it every month,to monitor its hoped recovery.There are signs of new growth, so keep your fingers xd.

Ashizuru.