Problem with Mango Trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Dylan G, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

Frequently when the trees are putting out a new flush of growth the new leaves fall off and fail to mature. This has happened to both my tree in a pot and my tree in the ground. Any ideas on what would cause this or how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I think it may have something to do with large temperature fluctuations from one day to another.

2. Mazare

Mazare Member

Your instincts are right. Wide temperature fluctuations have caused "shock" in my trees. I'm guessing they've done the same to yours. Plus, mangos are notoriously late bloomers. While they do give fruit in pots it's not as common as other trees.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yup - sounds like temperature is the culprit there. Mangos are pretty touchy about temperature changes; I've had a tree drop all of its little green fruits because it rained for three days and got chilly (to about 10 degrees C).

4. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

My mango also dropped all its fruits this year. I can't blame the rain (0 cm) or the cold (above 60 F) I am left with very hot and dry. Would that be a "good " reason?
    I thought mangos liked it hot.

5. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

My tree has finally pushed out a new flush of growth and the fruit is growing up a bit. Do you water your tree enough jeanneaxler? In California the wet and dry seasons are the opposite from what mangos like.

6. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

I thought I did but maybe not. It has been very dry early in the season this year so you may have solved my problem.
    Thanks..