Probably 'Umineko', mid-season, double-serrated leaves emerge with blossoms

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

At the entrance of 1950 Robson St Apartment, there are two trees with single pure white flowers, mid-season, with double-serrated "green" leaves emerge. Some withered flowers have central purple color. The tree are around 5m tall. sl. purple bud scales, green serrated bracts, short hairless peduncle, 2.3 cm pedicel, 0.3 x 0.5 cm long sl. purple sepal, 3.3 diameter white flowers with 1.3 x 1.6 cm petals. There is another one nearby at street corner.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Catalog of single white, mid-season, double-serrated leaves emerge with blossoms

I've been calling these 'Umineko' (see http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=135876&postcount=44), though no-one ever said if they were or weren't. 'Umineko' does have double-serrated leaves emerging with the blossoms (see leaf photos in the Umineko thread in Cultivar IDs - http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=216909&postcount=13).

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Catalog of single white, mid-season, double-serrated leaves emerge with blossoms

I do think they're 'Umineko'. They're in a location that's very shaded by the building to one side and a row of horse-chestnuts on the street side. Here are some photos showing how delicate the 'Kanzan' look that are mixed in with these white-blossomed trees. To the right of the entrance are one of the white-blossomed trees, three 'Kanzan', then another of these trees. I think both cultivars are similarly affected by the location. 'Kanzan' are not usually delicate-looking either.

Attached Files:

4. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

After I saw them again on March 24, I agree they are Umineko. They are in the shade almost all day long.

5. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you, Wendy.
    The third picture shows trees more delicate than I thought.
    Trees change due to the place they planted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.