POTW: Favourite Berries

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 30, 2004.

?

What is your favourite berry?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2004.
  1. Strawberries

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Raspberries

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Blueberries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blackberries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Saskatoons

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Cranberries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gooseberries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Elderberries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

After waxing eloquent on the 'Tulameen' raspberry, I think everyone will know how I voted...

And yes, I realize that not all of these are true berries in the botanical sense. To read more about which of these are true berries and which are not, consult Wikipedia: Berry

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

When I was little I just adored straberries. I thought they were like the fruit of the Gods or something. Now I seem to favour raspberries. I use raspberries when I want to prepare an impressive dessert. The fragrance, the flavour, and the rich red colour just can't be beat.

It occurs to me that the strawberries I enjoyed as a child were all homegrown and the ones I have eaten since have generally been commercially grown. The varieties of strawberries that make it to market are bland in comparison to the rich ones we grew at home. Perhaps raspberry growers have done a better job of selecting varieties with good flavour. I think I should plant strawberries in my garden next spring. It may still be my ambrosia.