Propagation: Pothos new leaf attached both ends

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Carson, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Carson

Carson New Member

A new leaf coming out from a Pothos (growing indoors, in Vancouver) has attachment at both ends.
    i was intending to cut one end free this morning, but I'm reluctant to do so until I know which end—or whether the plant will decide itself.

The photos, taken at 13 mm from the plant, show it as it is. The main stem is close to the soil, but is rooted normally.

Having said that, as each photo emphasizes just one attachment, they do tend to make things look more normal than they seem in real life. I've never seen new leaves on pothos plants do this.

I'd like to do the best thing for the leaf. Thanks for help.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The tip of the leaf just developed under some membranous tissue... you can pull it out.

3. Carson

Carson New Member

Daniel, thank you very much. You know, I am super-sensitive about many things. I love my life and I cherish all the beautiful things around me that I could not create myself. It does not matter to me whether a pothos is a very, very common "houseplant" or whether this one is a plant we saved after iots pretty rough former life-chances. It doesn't matter that I've seen giant pothos dangling in the misty cloud-forests in Costa Rica. What DOES matter is the sheer beauty of the life-form, whether it is a beautiful girl or a beautiful jaguar—any life form beyond (way beyond) my personal ability to create on a workbench, so to speak.

So I read your message, and then I carefully, carefully applied your wisdom, and gently, gently extracted the leaf-tip. PERFECT! I gave it a very light spray of water, as just a mild mist, in order to compensate for my finger touching for a moment during the extract.

I'll take a photo or two tomorrow. Again, thank you so much.

—"And, Grasshopper, what did you learn while on Earth?"
    —"A friend told me how to help a brand new leaf-tip of a plant escape too long entrapment in its cradle."
    —"And why did that matter?"
    —"It provided happiness for the plant, and for others, too."
    —"And?"
    —"And that is the meaning of life."

Thank you, Daniel. We meet again.
    /C

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Carson

Carson New Member

This is my second attempt, today, to place this message. Thanks again to Daniel for helping me here.

This time I'm posting this originally with no pictures, and then adding two photographs a few moments later.

This first photo, below, (and as an ;-) aside to Wendy Cutler, yes, I read your VERY helpful instructions!!!)
    shows the leaf very soon after I had gently, gently eased it out of its tubular casing.
    DSCN7196.JPG

And this second photo shows the same leaf a couple of days later:
    DSCN7320_cr.jpg
    and that is the underside of my fingertip gently urging the leaf not to be so shy.
    (Normally I don't like to "touch" plant leaves; if I do, I generally spray just a micro-smidgen of water afterward.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020