Pothos, new growth very small

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jaws4evr, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jaws4evr

jaws4evr Member

Hi all, I have a pothos in my office. It is against a HUGE north-west facing window. It is overtop a vent system, but the output is quite low. I try to wait until it's fairly dry to water it.

The original leaves are huge, however everything that's grown since I got the plant has been smaller and smaller (see photos). Does it just take the leaves a long time to grow bigger, or is this an effect of greenhouse lighting conditions vs my window situation? Other care issue?

Thanks folks

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

There are naturally many factors at play. One is time (newer leaves are smaller, until they get bigger), another is nutrients (a plant with low nutrients produces smaller leaves), and some it depends on growth direction: with pothos I have found they grow smaller when growing down and bigger when climbing up. Give it a stick or some other surface it can grab onto and grow upwards and it should get bigger leaves, if that is what you want. When climbing and conditions are right, pothos leaves can get huge.

3. jaws4evr

jaws4evr Member

Okay folks, something is definitely up with this Pothos I posted about previously. It's showing significant leaf yellowing.

It's in a N facing (very large) window in an office. I try to water it only when it's dry. It's still in the same pot as when I bought it at the greenhouse a few months ago. I have not done any fertilizing of any kind, and since the initial move the plant has remained in the same spot.

Do these pictures look indicative of anything specific to people? Overwatering, underwatering, drafts, lighting, other?

I don't know if i can salvage it, but I would love to succeed with a pothos in my office since conceptually one SHOULD do well here.

Attached Files: