Identification: Possible Root Rot Fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mausi, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mausi

mausi Member

Hello,

I've found a fungus spreading in my flower bed. Could someone help me identify what it is and how I can get rid of it if it will damage my flowers?

About 2 years ago I had a tree removed including the stump and I built a flower bed on top of the location. So I think the fungus maybe due to the tree roots rotting, plus we've had a ton of rain the past two weeks.

I've attached pics.

L to R: close up, from the top, my flower bed

Thanks for any help!!

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow - I've never seen anything that looks like that. Very interesting - I look forward to hearing what it is!
    I think you are right - it does look from the circular growing pattern that it is growing on a stump under the soil: If it is a wood decayer then your flowers may even benefit from the constituents of the wood released by the fungus.

3. mausi

mausi Member

Thanks Frog. I know it's strange I've never seen anything like it. It is all over my flower bed even growing out of some of the cracks of the pavers and the pea gravel path. It doesn't look that bad I just want to make sure it's not going to hurt my plants or get too big.

I'd love to know what this stuff is so I can research it some more.

Thanks!

I've added a bigger picture.

Attached Files:

4. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Wow!!
    Nice one,
    Xylaria polymorpha

Regards,
    Nico

5. mausi

mausi Member

Awesome...thanks for the identification Nico!!

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

'Learn something new every day! I've only seen X. polymorpha once, and it was very small, flatter in crosssection and not bluish tinged.
    But I see from now googling this name, that there are some really bulbous examples out there!
    Out of curiousity, how tall/wide are these?
    thanks,
    frog

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

My guess was 'Dead Man's Fingers'...I've just found my first specimins this summer...

8. mausi

mausi Member

I'll take a few more pics this weekend and post them with measurements. It's been raining here like crazy.

Will these damage my perennials? If so can I just dig them out or will they come back. Do I need to treat them with a fungicide?

Thanks!

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I never suggest any sort of fungicides? Especially in a garden as believe it or not our world would die without fungi! The woodchips that these are growing out of is actually what is supplying the life force for u'r 'fingers'...From what I understand you can just pull them out...and freshen the chips in that area and keep a tad dryer as they really love moisture which allows the wood to decay. These don't normally return in same locations and aren't usually as prolific as you're grouping that I've ever seen. Hope this helps a bit.