Portwine Magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by janks1, Oct 13, 2007.

1. janks1

janks1 Member

Hi i was hoping you'd be able to help! I was wondering if it is possible to pot a portwine magnolia after it has been in my garden for approx 2 yrs? where it is currently the next door neighbours jasmine has started growing over our fence & now all you can smell is that. But I really like the look of the jasmine. I wasn't sure if you could have the portwine as a pot plant. If so what size pot & what is the safest way for the plant to do so.

Thanks so much for any help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try digging in spring. Won't know how big the pot will have to be until after you see how big of a root mass you are ending up with. However, you won't want to leave it sitting out in the air while you go get a pot - tree to anticipate what may be required and have a suitable container(s) on hand when you dig. Will also need potting soil, to put around the original soil rootball (do not bare-root this subject).

3. Donald King

Donald King Member

Janks - Hi

It is my opinion that magnolias are not intended to be grown in pots. Besides eventually out-growing the pot, the magnolia's root system will have to endure more cold and more temperature fluctuation in a pot than it will in the ground. Also, generally, it is more difficult to water the tree's rootball. Seems pots either do not drain well or the water runs down between the rootball and the inside of the pot.
    Magnolias have a well-deserved reputation for being difficult to transplant. The roots are fleshy and more susceptible to damage and infection when transplanting.