Poorly healed graft

Discussion in 'Maples' started by TY_jmple, Jun 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

I wonder if this poorly healed graft is going to get better. I don't mind keeping this Japanese Maple as long as it's going to stay alive albeit looking unsightly.
    20210611_203257.jpg 20210611_203239.jpg 20210611_203103.jpg 20210611_203250.jpg

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My opinion - it is going to be fine. In 20 years you are not even going to be able to see the graft union.

AlainK, LoverOfMaples, emery and 3 others like this.
  3. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Can anybody give me any advice with my Mikawa? My guess is that the trunk is expanding and there was a weak spot in the bark near the graft union.

Should I buy that graft/pruning goop to spread over this area? If so what brand or Amazon link to product should I buy?

thank you!

Attached Files:

4. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

@Connor Sullivan "Can anybody give me any advice with my Mikawa? My guess is that the trunk is expanding and there was a weak spot in the bark near the graft union."

The graft union itself looks good. The peeling bark on the root stock would not be of concern to me if it is not affecting the growth at all. In all of our nursery years and currently now, we have never used any type of sealer for lower bark peeling issues ( or any other part of the tree for that matter).

We have several very old and healthy cultivators with scaring from lower bark peeling in their younger years. The only thing we do is carefully peel or cut any of the lose bark that may make a home for invasive insects to nest in, other then that we leave it alone.

I know many will disagree (especially the manufactures of the products) , but imo, mother nature is the best healer.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

So agree with this Otto.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is what I do Connor @Connor Sullivan. All excellent advice from Otto.
    D

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Bordeaux mix, Bordeaux mix !

... or not. I would apply some copper-based fungicide to be on the safe side, but like the others, I think it will be OK.