Ponytail Palm - browning leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bruxalex, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Bruxalex

Bruxalex New Member

Hi everyone,

I am worried about my ponytail palm which I’ve received for my 30th birthday. It seem to thrive over summer time, but since December leaves started to turn brown. I’ve trimmed them, but it doesn’t stop and they continue to turn brown. They have lost about 30% of leaves now I would say. I would usually water it once a month with distilled water. But now haven’t watered it since December. Light is not that great in winter where I live, so I recently purchased grow light in a hope that it would help.
    I’ve attached pictures - as I can’t get whether I’m over watering or under watering.
    It is potted in a big pot with cactus oil mix. I dug in a bit and the soil about half way in is moist but not soaked, the first few inches are dry. The roots don’t appear to be rotten though.
    I’m so worried as it has a lot of sentimental value as well.
    Any advice on what may be wrong with it would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suspect the leaves are tapering off due to lower light conditions, it should pick up in the spring or with your grow lights.