Identification: Pointy Crown

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by winterhaven, Mar 24, 2011.

1. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Does the fact that this already very tall tree has a pointy crown mean something? The only Monkey Puzzle tree pictures I've seen with pointy crowns have been on juveniles. Just how big do the Monkey Puzzles get before they start fattening up?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not a monkey puzzle tree from what I can tell, so moved to Gymnosperms forum instead and set prefix on the thread to identification.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One of the Mediterranean region species of true firs (Abies). Whomever identified this as a monkey puzzle relation was quite mistaken.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Spanish Fir Abies pinsapo.

5. winterhaven

That's it, that's it! After looking online at Abies pinsapo, I finally see images that look like my tree. Thank you all!!!!!

That makes so much more sense. Believe it or not it was an arborist that sent me down the Monkey Puzzle path.

OK. So now for the next questions. Is this a rare tree?

I ask because it's listing away from an old wound. There has been talk of either 1) removing the tree or 2) wiring it to the adjacent Red Cedar.

If we did remove it, how hard would it be to replace with a tree bigger than a twig?

Would anyone like to share their thoughts relating to removal/measures to keep it?

6. Ron B

Poor specimen not wanted where it is and not rare enough to fuss with.

7. Michael F

I'd keep it - firs rarely ever blow down or cause serious problems.

8. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

An actual arborist would not have told you that was a monkey puzzle... Maybe a tree worker, but they should not have been advertising as an arborist. That is like a car mechanic telling you a Honda Civic is a GMC Suburban.

Can you attach pictures of the wound you're worried about? I would suggest getting another opinion on whether it needs anything done with it from a reputable arborist in your area.

9. winterhaven

Snicker, snicker. I thought it was pretty far off. I won't name names, but it WAS an "certified arborist" The same person also incorrectly ID'd another tree that I knew enough about to correct. At the time I thought it was a slip of the tongue. Now I'm wondering.

I thought I had pictures of the wound, but can't find them. It's now raining, so can't get any now. I've left a message for a more reputable arborist in my area so I can get feedback if I should be concerned for "imminent" issues.

BTW, I found a wholesale site advertising a 7' tall version of Abies pinsapo 'Glauca' for about $150. I've learned this variant is hardier and faster growing than the species. So I feel I should be able to replace the tree next winter. At this point, I've established the tree is not OMG rare or unusual. Nor is it impossible to find a replacement bigger than a twig. Also, the septic tanks near the tree need to be replaced. And as fate would figure, they're on the wrong side of the list.

Regardless of its health or lack thereof, I can't see a compelling reason to keep this tree. It's not an exquisite specimen of its kind, it's not rare, it's not irreplaceable, and it's not in a good location. The only thing good about it is that it's a large evergreen. And it's not even that large. So, at this point, I feel committed to its removal.

10. Green Crown

Green Crown Active Member 10 Years

Hard to see depth in the picture, but that may not be the best place for a tall conifer anyway. It looks like it may have been planted too close to the house, though it may be offset more than it looks in the picture. Also, may be a little close to the cedars, which may be the actual reason for the list to the left in the photo.... again, hard to tell without seeing from more vantage points. Then again... maybe you could replace it with a monkey puzzle?

11. Ron B

Otherwise apparently competent arborists I know are not tree identification experts nor do they appear to pretend to be. While growth behavior and approach to pruning does vary with the species there is a certain amount of commonality involved also. However, if a company was paid specifically to identify trees there should have been somebody on the team who could actually name all or at least most of the trees present.

Preferably all.

Scene shown would be enhanced if the fir were removed.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. Michael F

Scene would be better enhanced by keeping the tree and removing that ugly shack ;-)

Judging by whorl count, the tree is 45-50 years old. Something to bear in mind in considering replacement time for a similar size tree.

13. winterhaven

I wanted to thank you all again, especially Michael F., who identified the tree. And I thought you might like to learn the end of the story.

A certified arborist (a different one) gently broke the news to my husband that the question was not if we would need to remove the tree but when. So the tree has been removed.

Also, the place where I thought I could buy a replacement tree didn't have them after all. But after lengthy searching I found a few about four hours from where I live. I didn't care for the graft union on their tallest, so I went with a shorter one. It's only about six feet tall, but when I put my hands around the base of the trunk my fingers don't touch. So I'm guestimating it's about a 7+ inch caliper. And it is very full and lush.

Bonus - while I was there, I also found a fourteen foot tall Monkey Puzzle tree.

Hubby and I picked out a spot for each tree where they will have room to grow.