Podocarpus Rehabilitation

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Lisa K, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Lisa K

Lisa K Member

I've rescued a Podocarpus from my workplace where it was slowly losing leaves and dying from lack of light. It had an extremely shallow and small root ball for a five foot tall plant. It has one branch with leaves 3/4 of the way up the trunk and it extends horizontally for around two feet before draping to the floor. There are two branches on the opposite side that have only a couple leaves remaining, nothing of any size.

I've been watering it from the bottom to encourage deeper roots and placed it in in the strongest light source in my place. Three months later, it has plenty of new growth starting and no longer needs to be tied to a doorknob to stand upright. It still needs to be staked though.

My question is how to make this plant recover its former attractive appearance? There are four small new growth starts a couple inches from the bottom of the trunk, on the opposite side from the one living branch. Should I let them grow? Can I remove the leafless branches? Is there anything else I should be doing for it to help it recover?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

A picture would say a thousand words here but... I would suggest you prune out and dead, diseased or damaged stems, use a growth supplement called "Growth Plus" to encourage new growth and health, it contains cytokinins which is a growth hormone of sorts. You may be able to remove the upper stems of the plant to encourage luch growth from below but be carefuil, don't do this hastily it may not be beneficial.

3. Lisa K

Lisa K Member

Podocarpus Picture

I suppose that would help, wouldn't it? This is prior to its move. It's fairly similar, except the upper branch to the left has lost most of its leaves, the beginnings of green at the base are really starting to establish (four starts in the same place), and there is new growth at the top and from all leaves draping from the top.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think the best bet is to remove the leafless branches but leave the rest pretty much alone. Stake and support the weaker larger branches as long as they need it and the plant should give you good results.