plum tree problems - dead branches, dried leaves and hard fruit

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Maureen M, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Maureen M

Maureen M Member

I have just moved into an older home with a very troubled plum tree.
    The tree is quite large and old, and had two main trunks but last year the smaller one died. Now some smaller branches on the larger trunk are bare and lifeless too.

The top branches of the rest of the tree have lots of plums growing but all have curled up leaves (I thought at first it might just be dry, because of all this hot weather we're having, but fruit trees are supposed to like it hot, aren't they?). The bottom leaves are looking fresher, but are holed due to a local catepillar (my neighbors apple tree has the same and is fine, so I think these are not the main problem).

Meanwhile, the live part of this tree is dropping lots of hard, inedible plums. Is it just shedding extras? There are still lots more ripening. I've been told that it usually makes delicious plums and all the neighbors drop in and help themselves because it produces so many.

Should I get an arborist in to prune off the dead stuff before it spreads? I want to save it if I can.

thanks!

Maureen

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

It is difficult to say what the problem is for sure. Here is a link which describes the many problems associated with plums. There is no harm in removing dead branches, however, be sure that they are dead and not simply defoliated due to stress from the insect, disease, or perhaps even abiotic factor. Scratch the bark surface and look for fresh green wood to see if the branches are alive. I think it would be most valuable to hire an arborist to diagnose the problem and provide a recommendation which is much easier to do on site than from a description. While he or she is there, perhaps they can prune your tree as well.

Raakel

3. neema

neema Member

We have had the same problem - we have two plum trees in our backyard (Vancouver) - the larger mature tree appears fine and has many fruit this year, but the smaller tree (we're guessing it is about 5 years old, an offspring of the mature tree) has the same leaf curl problem you describe. this was the first year the tree had fruit and it appeared to be thriving in the spring - lots of new branches and leaves, very healthy. the fruit started to ripen before growing to the normal size of the fruit (judging by the mature tree and the past few years of harvest). We too thought it was a lack of water and have watered it thoroughly since june - to no avail. almost all the leaves are now brown and completely curled. the branches are not dead (green wood is visible), but with 99% of the leaves dying, it would appear there is not much hope for it.

Our neighbour's plum tree (similar age) has started to show the same problem. Research in her vast collection of tree books suggests a fungal disease which may be incurable. We're concerned that we will have to take out the tree in order to prevent spreading to the mature tree. If you have found out anything more about your plum's problems, would you mind sharing?

thanks!
    neema & tim.