Plum pollination

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Bob Dunn, May 4, 2021.

1. Bob Dunn

Bob Dunn Active Member

I have a Pembina plum and either a Brookred or Brookgold (lost the tag). They both bloom profusely at the same time, but neither has produced a fruit in two years. I thought I might try a Mount Royal as a pollinator (at least I’ll get fruit from it, as it’s self fertile). Do you think it will pollinate the other two?
    I know that plums are notoriously hard to pollinate.
    Thanks,
    Bob

I thought that I had made a follow up request here for a Canada Plum branch, that I could graft onto one of these plums, but I guess that it didn’t go through. I have a very small Canada Plum, but it’s too small to cut a branch from.
    I did buy a Mount Royal Plum, but it won’t bloom in sync with the others this year.
    To ask again, if anyone within 100 miles of Calgary would be willing to provide me with a small Canada Plum stem, I would be forever grateful. I’ll come pick it up.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Last edited: May 11, 2021 at 7:12 PM
  2. Bob Dunn

Bob Dunn Active Member

Dummy reply in hopes of triggering emails to those watching this thread.
    Please see my edited message above.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am not on the prairies however I was curious about your specs for Canada Plum

And I have nothing helpful to offer in terms of branch or plant

—-

That said - I learned today - it’s native ?

I presume so - I grew up reading those classic Laura Ingalls Wilder books - including one titled « on the banks of Plum Creek » which was somewhere in the Dakotas on the US version of prairies

I am used to saskatoons etc in Okanagan BC

I wonder if you have space to plant a full tree?

This is a quick google
    Canada plum - Prunus nigra - The best plum pollinator - The Hardy Fruit Trees Nursery

4. Bob Dunn

Bob Dunn Active Member

I have space for a tree. The only Canada Plums available around here are little twigs, one of which I have. This will be its third year, but still hasn’t produced a blossom yet, and the branches are too small for me to harvest a twig for grafting. I’ll look at your link after I send this (just noticed it).
    I bought a 1-year-old tree about 10”-12”, but it’s been very slow to grow.

Last edited: May 11, 2021 at 9:58 PM
  5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There probably won't be any more scionwood exchanges until after the pandemic but perhaps someone associated with the DBG Fruit Growers Group can offer some leads.

The site has a bulletin (2-17) on plum pollination which you may find interesting: Educational. There's also this followup discussion of the article: Plum Pollination.

Bob Dunn likes this.
  6. Bob Dunn

Bob Dunn Active Member

Good morning,
    Thanks for this very valuable reference. I have connected with the Calgary equivalent of the Edmonton DBG Fruit Growers Group. I’ll let everyone know how it works out. Calgary Fruit Growers

7. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

From post #5 of the followup discussion:
    If that is the case, one might try freezing the trees: Italy's sparkling apple trees are frozen to survive.